Fast Alice Glass

Fast Alice Glass

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Nut Bars on the Family Farm!!

Back on the Farm!!! So Aunt Mitzi taught my Cuz and I our Great-Grandmother's recipe for nut bars...
Ingredients:
1lb Walnuts or Almonds ground
1cup bread crumbs
3 lemons juiced
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3eggs
1 cup sugar




Jules and Aunt Mitzi zest some lemon...

Our lovely pile of fresh ground walnuts!!


This is actually my Great-Grandmas cutting/baking board..

Aunt Mitzi mixes the nuts and bread crumbs together while I pour the sugar.

I love my Fam!!


Slowly mix in 3 egg yolks and 1 egg white..

Knead the mixture into a stiff dough.. adding extra breadcrumbs to absorb any extra nut oil..

Jules uses my unorthodox method for juicing lemons.. doesn't taste so great but works like a charm!! My Aunt thought this was the greatest thing....lol. One lemon juiced is kneaded into the nut dough.


Half the dough and roll into two tubes about 12-14 inches long..


Roll the tubes flat to make the bar shape.

The icing is easy just beat a meringue out of the two remaining egg whites, two juiced lemons and some sugar....

YUM!


I love doing this... my favorite part!!

Almost ready for the oven... cut the bars into 1 inch slices.


Bake on 350 until the meringue is golden brown!!!

2 comments:

Chantelle said...

Awesome! I wish I could be there with you. I miss them! Keep learning the family recipes-- we don't have too many of them.

Let's make sure to get something set up around Christmas. I really want to see them!

Carolyn's Holographic Universe said...

Thanks so very much for sharing this! These are the same cookies that my grandmother made as well. She was of German orgin from Hungary. THe recipe i have did not include breadcrumbs and uses icing sugar in the base. I will try it your way as I think that is how she made it as well.

With appreciation

Carolyn